Author Topic: I have been sent a .nmbackup file. How do I restore it?  (Read 1424 times)

roger

• Administrator
I have been sent a .nmbackup file. How do I restore it?
« on: February 14, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »
If you are restoring this to a ‘remote’ database, then you should use the NoiseMap Server Administrator utility which is normally located:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NoiseMap Five\NoiseMap Server Tools\Bin
It is the file called Administrator.exe
[Set up a shortcut on your desktop for future ease of access.]
This will ask you to log into the remote server.
Then select Database backup and Restore in the left-hand menu
The Database Backup and Restore window opens.
Click the Restore tab
Then browse to where you have saved the .nmbackup file
Select the backup in the main window and click Restore.
The file will be restored to the database system and you will be able to open it in NoiseMap.

This utility will not restore to a ‘flat’ database file.
If you wish to restore to a .nmdb ‘flat’ database file, you need to access the nmbackup.exe utility which
is in your NoiseMap install directory, by default this is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NoiseMap Five\NoiseMap Client\Bin
This is a ‘command line’ utility as this is an ‘unofficial’ feature, although it works fine.
Since the nmbackup.exe utility has rather an obscure set of commands, we have created a small MS-DOS file to run it for you.
I have attached this as NM5Restore.txt.  You need to save this for simplicity in your 
C:\Program Files (x86)\NoiseMap Five\NoiseMap Client\Bin
directory and rename it as NM5Restore.bat which makes it an MS-DOS executable.
Then start the command line interpreter (Windows Power Shell) and cd (change directory)to the above directory
Eg: type
cd “C:\Program Files (x86)\NoiseMap Five\NoiseMap Client\Bin”
check you are there by typing
dir
which lists the directory contents – you should see that NM5Restore.bat is there.
Type .\NM5Restore.bat at the command line (note you need the .\ at the beginning of the file name to notify that it is in the current directory)
The follow the prompts.
1 = path to where the .nmbackup file is stored
2 = path to where you want the new .nmdb file to be created
3= name of database to be restored from the .nmbackup file (you can try typing all if you don’t know this, as usually there is only one database to restore anyway)

Sorry if this is a bit complicated but you only have to do it the once.
It is possible to convert the other way but we do not recommend this as 'round tripping' can cause loss of precision due to differences in the way that floating point numbers are stored.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:02:33 PM by roger »