Author Topic: Creating PDFs  (Read 558 times)

admin

• Administrator
Creating PDFs
« on: August 04, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
I've seen your advice to use a 'pdf printer' for making portable high-resolution maps.  I have tried a 'freebie' pdf printer but NoiseMap will only create maps at A4 size.  What should I do?

NoiseMap creates maps at an exact scale on any printer.  To do this it needs to know the exact size of the 'paper' on which it is printing, even if it is virtual paper.  Because any printer might be connected to the computer, Windows requires the printer driver to supply the hardware characteristics of the printer back to the user software (in this case NoiseMap).  Unfortunately some poorly-written printer drivers don't do this properly, and it is even more complex with 'virtual printers' where paper size and other characteristics are simulated in software. Whilst good PDF software will allow you to change things like paper size, if they don't supply this change back to NoiseMap, there is no way that NoiseMap knows what size of paper has been chosen and it will probably default back to A4 or US letter size.

The solution is to use one of the printer drivers that we recommend, such as Adobe Acrobat or Win2PDF, or to try out various others for yourself.  Do be careful with 'freebies'.  These may carry malware or 'Adware' which could turn out to be very expensive in the long run.