Author Topic: How can I consolidate separate Road and Rail models of the same area?  (Read 555 times)

roger

• Administrator
At the moment I have historical road models with assumptions on topography and earthworks etc., but as detailed design progresses I am needing to refresh the scheme contours and it would be neater if I could have a consolidated road and rail model.

a.   There are various ways that you can combine separate road and rail models.  One way is to start with the most complex model first (probably the rail model).Having worked out the main differences between the road and rail models (I would expect the receivers and topography to be similar in both), go to the road model and  export the items that you need to add to the rail model.  For example, the road segments should be exported as shapefiles, as should any additional barriers and topography.  However, the traffic flows will have to be exported as a CSV file.  Do this first.
b.   Now export the road segments. Go to View>Export Shapefile and untick everything except road segments.
c.   Open a copy of the old model to use as the combined model.
d.   Now go to the new combined model and go to View>import Shapefile.  Under Profile, click the dropdown and select NoiseMap exported roads.  Click OK
e.   At this stage, I would answer No to ‘do you want to load the database covering the DXF/Shapefile Area.
f.   Now go to View>Convert Layer and select object to convert into as Roads.  Click Next
g.   You  could try setting the import tolerances to 0, although sometimes this causes an issue so set to 0.1
h.   Turn the road visibility to On.
i.   Check that the traffic flows have been loaded (in the Traffic Flow Manager) If happy, commit changes.
j.   Add the other objects likewise – only export from the roads model the items that change in the combined model.
k.   All parapets go down through the ground.  If you don’t want them to screen, you can delete them in the roads scenario.